Sunday, April 6, 2008

Last Day at Candler Park



This was my last shift as assistant GM of the Candler Park Biscuit. I expected it to affect me more, since I had already cried in front of my staff at the last server meeting. It was a normal busy brunch. Nothing really special. I gave out hugs to people I would miss, and made them promise to visit me. If it is one thing that I can contribute to my new GM of Midtown gig it's forming a stronger relationship between the two original "corporate" stores.

Still, however, I remembered my first day; my interview on the patio with Calvin (the GM at the time) and founder, Delia Champion. I was 22 and right out of college. I played up the whole child of the neighborhood role since I was born in Candler Park and raised in Decatur. They took a chance on me, and I think they won a great employee. I met so many great customers and staff that I have problems recalling all of them when I bump into them around town. I watched the Biscuit grow from a disorganized little Cafe in the neighborhood to a little less disorganized breakfast chain.

I sat tonight in the same seat at the counter when I ate my first (free) Flying Biscuit meal- three huge organic oatmeal pancakes with peach compote- after my interview.

Four and a half years later I was sitting in the same place, but I had grown so much.

1 comment:

Brian said...

You have grown, Spence. I've watched you over the past 4 or so years and I've seen you turn into an adult. Congrats on the promotion-- Midtown is lucky to have you. Candler Park is still licking it's wounds! Good luck and I hope to see you soon!

~BB